Jims Galley

Jims Galley
Welcome!

Friday, June 13, 2014

No Knead Bread anywhere, anytime, anyplace. The best "to go" bread recipe

Right now I am traveling and have landed in Cedar Key Florida. I brought along with the two cats, Donna, and a ton of production gear, and of all things my starter. I figured I would try some bread recipes while on location for a while.


This no knead recipe is one that requires no special tools, flour, or yeast. The dutch oven that is so often used for baking this bread, is no where to be found. So I improvised. I found a cooking pot and aluminum foil and away I went.

You will need one pack of yeast, four cups of flour, and for this recipe I used one cup of proofed starter and a little over a cup of water. Through in three tabelspoons of extra Virgin olive oil and a teaspoon of sea salt. Mix everything up and fold on a flour surface into a ball.
 
Now do this in the morning so the dough can rise all day, at night place the dough covered in the fridge. In the morning punch down and let sit out all day to rise again. Bake in the afternoon.

Pre heat oven to 450 with the pot inside the oven. Be sure to use heavy duty pot holders so you won’t burn yourself. I also place a steam tray in the oven, it is just a pan with water in it. This keeps the oven humid and will help crust up the bread towards the end of baking.
Rise in a warm place
Use a steam bath,  tray with water in it.
 
Use foil for a lid. "Fake Dutch Oven"
Once oven is at temp, take out the pot and place the dough inside. I rubbed a little olive oil on the top of the dough then scored it twice, covered with foil, then placed in oven.

After thirty minutes, take off foil and bake another 15 minutes, then your done.

This is so simple and makes delicious bread. If you don’t have a sour dough starter I suggest starting one. I use mine every time I bake, the flavor is fantastic.


So when traveling you don’t need to take the pantry, just pick up some cheap flour, water, salt, yeast and a little olive oil and you are set to have some of the best bred in the world. It is hard to mess this recipe up!!

Chow and enjoy!
Jim Baugh
JBO TV

Author of HOOKED

No comments:

Post a Comment